JV “ELECTRONTRANS” – CAR PAINTINTING CHAMBER
The painting chamber for cars and electric vehicles was developed and designed by our company’s specialists specifically for the production of trams, buses and other types of vehicles at the “Electrontrans” plant in Lviv city. Work on its creation began in September 2012, and it was put into operation in March 2013.
To perform a pretty big trams production program, originally planned to create a complex consisting of three sections – a one painting booth for cars and two ventilation chambers, as well as a set painter lifts in a painting chamber for cars, but the production of the second ventilation chamber was postponed to a later date.
The ventilation and painting chamber for cars are located on the foundations, with exhaust air outlets fitted into them. This complex provides a self-sufficient and completed cycle of work on the application and further drying of paint and varnish materials on the surface of trams, buses or other products. This complex provides a self-sufficient and completed cycle of work on the application and further drying of paint and varnish materials on the surface of trams, buses or other products.
Products are fed into the painting chamber for cars in a very simple but interesting way – operators rolled carts with cars by hand! It would seem that a huge tram – the length of 11-12 meters, and two operators to effortlessly roll it into the camera and are not straining, roll out, and the whole thing on a special floor. It is poured from special, very durable concrete throughout the work area, and has a perfectly flat surface. The carts on which the products are transported have special swivel wheels with high load ratings. The carts on which the products are transported have special swivel wheels with high load ratings.
In the ventilation chamber, surface cleaning, puttying, grouting and other technological processes are performed to prepare the surface for coating. For this, air exchange is equipped in the ventilation chamber at the level of 50 times per hour, due to which dust and suspended particles are quickly removed from the chamber cabin.
The cabin of the painting chamber for cars has internal dimensions of 13500×5000×4500h mm.
The chamber space is protected from environmental influences, the possibility of dust getting on a painted surface is prevented and a heat-insulating function is performed. The cabin consists of:
● A wall and ceiling covering of the painting chamber for cars are made of sandwich panels with fireproof filler, 80 mm thick and a galvanic two-layer polymer coating, which consists of a sheet of zinc 275g/m2 thick and a 0.55 mm thick polymer coat. The panels are resistant to high temperatures (up to 180 °C) and to an increased level of humidity, which makes it possible to use the chamber outdoors.
● The suspended ceiling-plenum of the painting chamber for buses cleans and evenly distributes the heated air over the entire area of the painting chamber. It is made of profile metal pipes and angles on which ceiling filters are made of non-flammable material. High-quality air filtration is ensured by specially designed filter frames that have excellent peripheral sealing. The ceiling frames are designed and manufactured easily removable, which makes it possible to make quick filter changes.
● A set of grids on the painting chamber floor with filters for trapping paint mist and other suspended particles in the air that are emitted from the booth. The filters are placed vertically above the floor level in the foundation, while putty, dust, debris and suspended particles remain on the pit floor and do not fall onto the filter.
● Sealed gates with dimensions 3600×4000 have viewing windows. Roller shutter gates have thermal insulation and excellent sealing. The painting and drying chamber has one airtight and insulated service door for personnel to pass through.
The lighting of the chamber consists of two uppers, located at an angle of 45° to the ceiling, and two side rows of fluorescent lamps, which provide a level of illumination in the chamber of at least 1000lux, which makes it possible to best assess the quality of the application of paintwork. Luminaires have a degree of protection IP65 (water and dust protected).
The thermal ventilation group of a painting chamber for a car consists of one supply and exhaust thermal ventilation cabinet (TVC). It provides preliminary cleaning, heating and supply of clean air, and then cleaning and exhaust air. The temperature is set by the operator in the range of 16-24 °C in the cleaning mode, and the air exchange is fixed at least 50 times per hour, which ensures high-quality blowing of the product and removal of putty residues from its surface, as well as the removal of dust, putty and other contaminants from chamber cabin. TVC consists of:
● Powerful centrifugal fan with an electric motor up to 35 thousand m3 / h
● A heat exchanger made of heat-resistant steel with a gas burner type NG 350 CIB Unigas was used as a heat generator
● Gate valves for air supply, discharge and recirculation. They open and close with the help of electric drives, and they are controlled by a control panel with automation and control systems
● A pocket-type prefilter purifies the air before feeding it into the plenum suspended ceiling.
The control panel with automation and control systems for the paint booth for buses consists of a set of sensors for monitoring pressure, air flow, temperature, different meters, regulators, etc., which are consistent with each other and control all the nodes of the paint booth for cars. In addition, this control panel is equipped with converters that regulate the frequency of rotation of electric motors, and at the same time, the air flow in the chamber.
The paint booth in this complex is designed for applying and drying coatings on previously prepared surfaces of buses, cars and trucks. In its composition, the paint booth for a car is very similar to a ventilation one, the only difference is in the ventilation system. The thermal ventilation group of the paint booth for a car is located outside the workshop wall in an open space. It consists of two supply and exhaust thermal ventilation cabinets, with the total productivity of up to 80 thousand meters cubic air per hour, which provide 200-fold air exchange in the painting mode and 50-fold during drying, the drying temperature is up to 70°С.
LIFT FOR PAINTER
In the paint booth for cars equipped with a lift painter. The painter’s lift is located along the side walls of the paint booth, with which the operator quickly moves along the product during painting. Lift moves in three directions – along the wall, up and down, and from wall to product. The lift has a pneumatic drive and operates from a common compressor, the air flow by the painters is negligible.
Characteristics of the painter lift:
The total distance from the wall is ≈1200 mm.
Maximum load of ≤150 kg
Working lifting height 2500 mm
Operating air pressure 6-8 bar
Net weight ≈350-400 kg
The maximum noise level during operation ≤85 dB
Thanks to the painter’s hoist, the painting speed of the product increases by 50-60%.
This complex has been successfully operating for more than a year and thanks to it the state program for the production of municipal transport is being implemented.